Atlanta to Raleigh, NC
I hit the road around 9am to miss any chance of traffic. There is something so satisfying about embarking on road trip. The car is all gassed up and a fresh cup of coffee to take the edge off the morning. The only way a long trip can be spoiled is when there is an impending time deadline. It takes all of the fun away. Oh well.
I’m heading to Raleigh to visit with my other post college roommate, Rick. Rick is teaching Biblical Studies at a Catholic high school in NC. His wife, Amy, just finished her first year at NC State’s Veterinary Studies Program. (More on that to follow). They have to wonderful kids. Courtney who turns 10, July 4th and Simon, who turns 1 at the end of this month. I can’t believe I have a friend who has a ten year old. It blows my mind.
Rick and I basically hung out. I know that may not sound crazy but it was a great time. I really enjoyed seeing him and his family. Rick was part of my short lived fraternity career before we both left, with a number of others. Our friendship transcended that pike fiasco. The funny thing is that at one time he and I were responsible for nearly all of the religious education of sophomores in catholic schools outside the I-240 Loop. The crazy thing is that while I think I did an OK job Rick was amazing. I have a number of his former students who worked with me in various summer programs in Memphis mention to me that his class was the one where they learned the most in high school. He designed a fantastic website for his theology classes.
On Tuesday night I jetted over to Durham to visit my cousin Christine, her husband Brian, and their daughter Jillian. They recently moved to Durham with Christine’s job at as Physician’s Assistant at the VA in Durham. It was great to see family. Our clan has spread out across the country in recent years so it was great to connect with them. Their daughter Jillian, who was the first great-grandchild of my grandparents on the Stephany side of my family, is doing well. She had a wonderful personality and she just lights up any room she enters. It was great visit.
Rick, the kids, and I hung the last day before I headed up to DC for the beginning of the program. In the evening Rick gave me a quick tour of the Chapel Hill area that is the home of UNC Chapel Hill. We had a couple of beers at restaurant/bar called “The Top of the Hill” on Franklin street, the main drag of the “scene” at the college. I had a beer called Swim Test Saison, it is described as, “A French Belgian style beer flavored with spices and East Kent Golden hops. A refreshing, yet fairly strong seasonal beer”. Strong is not the word for it, it had 7.5% alcohol by volume. Two beers and I had to head home.
Here is an article about the 45,000 students who converged on the street after UNC’s 2005 basketball championship
1 comment:
I made Pete Big Bear's blog! Hurray!
It was great to see you again, PBB. I only wish that I had felt better and we could have partied like it was 1999, or maybe more like 1995...or even 1992...or, hell, I don't really remember much of the 90s anyways. I hope things go well in DC, and we'll keep in touch.
A side note: I started reading "It's Not About the Truth," the new book about the Duke Lacrosse case. It's a great book, but an infuriating story. Reading the description of what actually happened the night of the party reminded me of the big brother revelation party we had in your place on Hawthorne (right?) when the little brothers got a stripper. I'm only a third of the way through the book, but already I can highly recommend it just for the narrative of the incident and for the background info on the key players. Also, the letter at the end written by the coach's daughter (and my former student) is pretty compelling. Ironically, I just started reading the book yesterday, the very day Nifong admitted to wrongdoing and resigned as DA. Today, he was found guilty of ethics violations, and now only the punishment remains. We shall see.
At any rate, great to see you and share a few beers again. Best Wishes.
Rick
Post a Comment